Fear not Mac users, for there are in fact great games for us on Steam which we can play offline. In a video game library saturated with Windows-only hits, it can be very difficult to find the best Mac-compatible RPG, FPS and RTS games to buy.
From time-wasting strategy titles to amazing multiplayers, you'll be sure to find a game that'll quickly become your favorite.
Best Mac Games On Steam For Offline Mode
The following video games all support macOS/OS X and are sorted into various categories depending on what kind of game you want to play, so if it's adventure games you're looking for, head further down the list.
A truly unique first-person shooter with an amazing concept: time moves as you move. Try to take out enemies by stealing their swords, guns and whatever else you can find, while manipulating time. Watch bullets fly in slow-motion as you creep forwards, before they whiz back to full speed when you move quickly in for the kill.
- Super interesting time-bending game mechanic.
- Sleek and cool both gameplay-wise and visually.
- Super satisfying to shatter the enemies (especially with everyday items).
A top-down shooter which does everything right. A cool soundtrack supports a wild adventure which will come as a welcome change amidst the countless Call of Duty-type games. You play as the character 'Jacket' who ends up on the wrong side of the Russian mafia, while his life dances the line between reality and fantasy. Some occurrences will make you wish it was imaginary.
- Killer synth-filled soundtrack.
- Gripping storyline filled with interesting animal-masked characters.
- The 80s Miami feel is fantastic.
Although set in the typical post-apocalyptic wasteland, the Borderlands series brings a sense of originality to it with a unique art style and entertaining feel. Borderlands 2 is a fantastic combination of RPG and First-Person Shooter where you take control of one of four 'Vault Hunters' to sort out that pesky Handsome Jack.
- Entertaining and humorous adventure in an interesting world.
- Awesome weapon system that offers bonus abilities and rare finds.
- Cool characters like Handsome Jack and 'Claptrap' units.
Sid Meier's Civilization VI
A series famous for the phrase "one more round", Civilization is a turn based strategy game that is sure to occupy all your free-time. Lead your own civilization from humble beginnings to superpower status while testing your diplomatic talents against classic figures like Cleopatra and Roosevelt.
- Great way to test your strategic prowess.
- Enjoying the game so much that you don't care when you eventually fall asleep at 4am.
- Having Gandhi use nuclear weapons against you.
Football Manager 2017
Take control of a football (soccer) team and guide them to the pinnacle of the game. The latest installment in the Football Manager series allows you to really release your inner tactician and see how you fare in a ridiculously in-depth simulator.
- With so many options to consider, you truly feel in control of a team.
- Negotiations in the transfer window are super exciting.
- 'Brexit mode' is a hilarious and interesting addition.
Prepare to feel a sense of purpose in its truest form as you grow attached to a rural farm. The game tasks you with managing your grandfather's old ranch and combines sim and role-playing elements in a seamless manner. A fantastically made game with a whole lot to do.
- Stress-free game which keeps you entertained for ages.
- Not just a boring simulator thanks to the RPG and action elements.
- Amazingly satisfying sound effects and great music.
Eurotruck Simulator 2
Don't knock it 'till you try it. What may seem a mundane and uninteresting concept for a video game somehow transforms into a super relaxing and entrancing experience. Travel across the roads of Europe, delivering important cargo to a multitude of towns and cities.
- Great game to relax and de-stress.
- Sleek and pretty graphics.
- You'll gain a newfound interest in simulator games and suddenly have a whole new genre to explore.
Kerbal Space Program
Space-based sandbox simulator providing hours of entertainment. From juggling aspects in career mode to the imagination-fueled sandbox mode, you can try your hand at experimenting with the game's awesome physics and attempt to land your rocket on various planets and moons in orbit.
- Incredibly satisfying to perfect a rocket design and land on a tricky moon or planet.
- Mod-friendly system allows fun community-made projects to prosper.
- Creating outrageous rockets that NASA would never green-light, then getting them to work is a great feeling.
Portal Bundle (Portal & Portal 2)
A true classic series in the video game world, the Portal games offer some interesting puzzles and fantastically written storylines laced with dark humor. Using a gun which allows you to shoot portals (shocker), you teleport from one to the other to traverse otherwise impossible levels. You'll regret not having played this amazing Steam game sooner.
- Having to think and solve puzzles alongside a great storyline is really engrossing.
- Hilarious black humor is fantastically fitting to the feel of the game.
- Grab a friend and try out the co-op campaign.
Firewatch evolves from a fun, peaceful adventure game into one with a sense of mystery and danger. Henry decides to change his life by becoming a fire lookout in the Wyoming wilderness with only a single human for contact. By means of a handheld radio he builds a relationship with his supervisor Delilah, but is soon faced with choices that could put that single lifeline at risk.
- Visually stunning.
- Super interesting story development from a seemingly humdrum set-up.
- The handheld radio dynamic feels fresh and original.
An epic and engrossing tale in a 2D world of gorgeous hand-painted original artwork. Armed with an acclaimed soundtrack, Bastion has no problem knocking your current favorite game off the top spot. The fantastic storytelling aspect of the game is the constant reactive narration. To quote one Steam reviewer "If you haven't bought this game yet, you're basically committing a sin".
- Amazing music score - everyone agrees.
- Entwines hack'n'slash with story in a seamless manner.
- The well-performed narration varies depending on what the character does.
Life Is Strange
An episodic adventure in which you play as Max Caulfield, a girl with minor time-bending abilities, trying to avoid a potentially catastrophic event. If you could rewind and redo a decision you just made, would you? You better be sure 'cos all your actions will have consequences that could doom the fate of many.
- Storyline is interesting and gripping.
- Being able to rewind time a little allows for interesting decision making.
- Will test your morals in an entertaining way.
Have you played any of these killer titles? Is your favorite game missing? Let me know in the comment section below!