Pokémon Red and Green hit Japanese shelves in February 1996, sparking an international phenomenon that continues to surge in popularity today. But what is the bestselling mainline Pokémon game ever, according to international sales figures?
Nintendo and Game Freak have built their hot property into the second bestselling video game franchise of all time, shifting more than 279 million units as of last year. That amounts to around $57.65 billion, some of which was of course sent home to mom for safe keeping.
Watch: 20 years of Pokémon in 20 seconds
Many fervently argue over which game is the best, but which installment does the entire Pokémon community, grouped as a mass market whole, consider the crowning jewel of the franchise?
We're only counting the core RPG games that appeared on Nintendo's handheld platforms, of which there are 15. What follows is every one of those versions ranked in order of popularity, i.e. how well they sold.
The Bestselling Pokémon Games Of All Time
So, you want to see the very best?
15. Pokémon Emerald — 6.32 Million
14. Pokémon Crystal — 6.39 Million
13. Pokémon Platinum — 7.60 Million
12. Pokémon Black And White 2 — 8.52 Million
11. Pokémon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire — 11.84 Million
10. Pokémon FireRed And LeafGreen — 12.00 Million
9. Pokémon HeartGold And SoulSilver — 12.72 Million
8. Pokémon Yellow — 14.64 Million
7. Pokémon Sun And Moon — 14.69 Million
Please note: These sales figures are correct as of December 2016, so you can assume the incredibly successful Sun and Moon versions will be climbing up the rankings in the not too distant future.
6. Pokémon X And Y — 14.70 Million
5. Pokémon Black And White — 15.60 Million
4. Pokémon Ruby And Sapphire — 16.22 Million
3. Pokémon Diamond And Pearl — 17.63 Million
2. Pokémon Gold And Silver — 23.10 Million
1. Pokémon Red, Blue And Green — 31.38 Million
Was there ever going to be another winner? Even after 14 iterations, the original still proves best.
Take a look at the same sales figures arranged in this handy comparative bar chart:
Do you agree with your fellow gamers? If not, what's your favorite Pokémon game?