One of the more frustrating (but still attainable) objectives in Birth By Sleep (A fragmentary passage) is Excellent Aim. This objective asks you to earn an "Excellent" rating with Shotlock 6 times in a row.
Basically, hit the X button at the exact right time 6 times in a row. Easy enough, right?
Well, yes and no.
The thing is, Shotlock only lets you earn a maximum of 3 Excellent ratings in a row per use — and doing so in the first place requires you to use it with maximum Focus. Normally, this would require you to get to max focus, find enemies and earn Excellent three times, go back and get more Focus without using Shotlock in the process, and then getting Excellent three more times in a row.
It's a much bigger pain than you might expect. Thankfully, we have a bit of a trick (and accompanying video) that will make it a bit easier to complete.
First Things First: Make Sure You Can Get Excellent Ratings
- First, you'll want to head to Castle Town's save point.
Seeing as there's only one and teleporting to Castle Town will take you right to it, this step's pretty easy.
- Next thing you'll want to do is head toward the town center (i.e., away from the castle) until Heartless spawn and put you in combat.
- Once this happens, you can go ahead and try to get three Excellent ratings in a row.
Earning these takes a bit of practice, but the best advice I have is to listen to the audio cues.
The speed at which you need to hit the X button increases each time, but the audio speed also increases — it's a bit hard to explain via text, but if you watch the video at the bottom of this post, you can get a better idea of what I mean.
This Next Part Is Where the Trick Comes In
Once you've earned three in a row, you'll want to do the following:
- Run away from the Heartless and back to the save point (which will refresh your Focus automatically).
- Save your file.
- Go back to where you just were and earn an Excellent three times in a row to secure the Excellent Aim objective.
- If you do not manage to get three in a row on your second time, run to the save point but do not save. Instead, you'll want to go to the title screen and re-load the game that you saved a few minutes ago.
- Repeat the above two until you complete the objective.
The reason for the above method is because the game tracks your progress in the objectives window, and that progress gets tied to your save file. In other words, once you've locked down three Excellents, saving allows you to continually start over halfway through the objective rather than all the way at the beginning.
If any of that is confusing, don't worry — I've put together a quick video showing exactly what I mean. In this case, I didn't earn three Excellents the second time around, so I would simply run back to the save point, go to the title screen, and try again:
And that's it! If you're having trouble completing any of the game's other objectives, be sure to check out our hub page with all the objectives and their respective rewards. If we have a guide for any particular objective, it'll be noted right next to it!
Did you have a different method or location you used to earn Excellent Aim?