If a "missing .dll file" error pops when you're trying to play Civilization 6 don't worry! This is a very common error and a very easy one to fix.
Just pay attention to the error message for a .dll suffix located on a named file in the error.
First things first, make sure your system is current and complete. This will usually fix most .dll errors.
- Be sure to reinstall or update DirectX
- Also, navigate to Settings Menu > Update and Security > Windows Update > Check For Updates
- Restart your computer
If for some reason that doesn't work, you can also fix it manually:
- Search for the specific .dll file in Google - should pop up easily on sites like dll-files.com.
- Download the replacement .dll
- Copy and paste the file into the game's directory file.
For example, the .dll file for MSVP140.dll can be found here. Ignore the advertising and just snag the file - there's no need to sign up.
Restart your computer and you should be able to jump into Civilization 6 without any issues! If it doesn't be sure to check out our more comprehensive Civilization 6 troubleshooting guide for other fixes.
NOTE: Additionally, there are many .dll 'fixer' applications out there, but the above steps should fix everything you need. If you do go for one of those, beware of free applications – these are often bloatware, malware, or both.