There's a simulator for just about everything nowadays. From dating, to running your own prison, to performing advanced surgery and even demolishing buildings, games have let us virtualize things we'd never have a chance to do ourselves (as well as some we already do every day—I'm looking at you, Soda Drinker Pro).
#FarmingSimulator17 lets you step into the shoes of a budding, modern-day farmer, making intense decisions about how best to run your agricultural industry, whether it be what tractors, combines, and crop dusters to buy, what crops to plant and when to harvest them, or whether or not you should chop down that nearby forest to rake in some dough. It's everything you've ever wanted! If everything you ever wanted was to run your own farm and for some reason you're not out there doing so in real life.
But not all is well and good on the farm, and FS17 might plough you over with a few of its more frustrating bugs, glitches, and general hiccups. That's why we here at Now Loading are here for you with a number of quick-fixes to get you back in your tractor!
For more on game stimulations, erm, simulations here on Now Loading:
- We're Not Sure Why These Bizarre Simulators Exist, But We Don't Care
- What Is America's Favorite Video Game Genre?
- The E3 Trailer For 'Farming Simulator 17' Is...Actually Really Good
Bug or Glitch Ruining Your Farm? Let Us Be Your Pest Control! All the Quick-Fixes You Need for Farming Simulator 17
1. Minimum System Requirements
Of course, before you try to determine what could be causing a certain glitch, you're going to want to make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements to play Farming Simulator 17, as not meeting these standards could be the exact reason the game has decided not to work for you. So let's take a quick look:
- OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD dual-core processor
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 Series, AMD Radeon HD 6770 graphics card or better (min 1GB VRAM)
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 6 GB available space
- Additional Notes: Internet connection required for online game
If your computer isn't up to handling all that hardcore farming action, you'll either need to give it an upgrade or drive to your nearest corn field to satisfy your agricultural needs.
2. General Troubleshooting
Also, before looking at specific fixes, let's take a gander (or goose!) at some general troubleshooting tips to keep in mind if Farming Simulator 17 isn't knee-high by the Fourth of July.
- Up-to-Date Drivers: are all your drivers up to date? You might want to check 'em out and verify that no out-of-date drivers are holding you back.
- Game File Integrity: are all the original game files intact (and uncorrupted)? If files are missing, try reinstalling the game fresh before looking at other solutions.
- Admin Privileges: ever since the "admin privileges" feature got added to new OS's, you've probably noticed that a lot of games and programs need to be "run using admin privileges" in order to work properly. If something's not working, try right-clicking and selecting that option.
- .DLL errors: .dll errors upon starting the game are most likely the cause of an out-of-date or missing installation of directx. Head over to the Microsoft site for a fresh, updated copy, and make sure you reboot your system upon installation.
And now for some more specific problems...
3. Farming Simulator 17 crashes when I load it!
Sucks to be you!
I kid, I kid. If this is happening to you, I can only imagine the frustration. The most likely cause of this is, as mentioned above in the General Troubleshooting section, your drivers are out of date! In particular, your graphics drivers.
"How to Geek" offers a great tutorial for identifying and updating all the drivers for your graphics card here. Be wary of programs promising to scan and update all your drivers. Many of them are scams attempting to scare you into paying money for bogus services you don't need.
4. My screen goes black when I exit the game!
Let us get you out of the dark! Your problem may be that you exited the game using windowed mode, as this is the most common cause for this strange glitch. Try switching to full-screen mode before exiting next time and see if that doesn't fix your problem.
5. Where did all my money go?!
Maybe you should have thought of that before you bought 10,000 tractors to satisfy your tractor fetish! Actually, this seems to be a recurring problem for many players. The easiest and most surefire way to see all your dough again is simply to logout, then log back into the server. You might also try getting or paying a loan, as this sometimes does the trick, too.
6. My Farming Simulator 17 is stuck in Spanish and I no comprendo!
Playing a game in a language you don't understand can be frustrating—we understand! If your farming paradise is currently a 楽園, try this quick fix:
- Load up Steam and click go to your Library
- Right-click on Farming Simulator 17 and click on the Properties button
- Navigate to the Language tab and select your language!
7. What is this "Giants engine 7.0" thingie and why is it not working?
Well, it's a pretty important thingie, otherwise your game would work! If you're getting this error, the best course of action you can take is to verify your game files. Run an integrity check to ensure that every little nitty gritty file of your game is present and in proper working order. You'll know for sure if this was the issue if the check automatically downloads a few new files.
8. I just installed the damn game and it won't even start!
Temper temper! Take a few deep breaths, then try restarting your computer. It might sound like we're belittling you, but that's actually the best way to solve this issue. Seems like the game sometimes needs a fresh PC after install to get itself up and running.
9. "Error: Running LUA Method ‘init’?!" What does THAT mean?!
It means your server name is illegal, you silly billy! There must be some kind of invalid character in your server name that's screwing with the game files. All you need to do is change it to something more appropriate! And by that we mean something using only letters and numbers.
10. Now I'm getting the error message "Error: CRC64 files check failed. Data files are changed"...
Probably because you edited the standard map! As these maps are needed for multiplayer, as soon as you edit and save over them, the game will get itself all confused and be unable to run. The solution? Instead of directly editing the standard map, make a copy (or at least a backup) and edit that map instead! This should keep you from getting the aforementioned error message in the future. You can read more about this error here.
11. Why does my game run soooooooo slooooooow?
Probably because your video card isn't up to snuff. I'm afraid the only solution here is to get yourself an upgrade. If, however, you've already got the most sensational video card around and your game is still ridiculously slow and laggy, you may need to change a few things in the card's settings. Try these quick steps:
- Open up the control panel for your video card
- Navigate to "Manage 3D Settings" or some variation thereof
- Add Farming Simulator 17 to the list