All I wanted to do was go start a good ol' blood feud with Ghandi. Apparently, that's too much to ask.
If you're booting up Civilization 6 for PC for the first time, you might be running into some game-breaking issues right now. Players have reported numerous problems preventing them from even starting up the game - and many who can start the game have been reporting crashes.
If you're unable to start your conquest towards that sweet, sweet Science Victory because Civ 6 is crashing, we've got you covered with some quick fixes!
1. Make Sure Your Computer Can Actually Play the Game
Before we actually jump into our crash and bug troubleshooting for Civilization 6 crashes, I feel obligated to mention that you need to be sure your computer can actually play the game in the first place. Here are Civilization 6's minimum PC requirements:
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD Phenom 2 2.6Ghz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 1GB & AMD 5570 or nVidia 450
- Storage: 12 GB available space
Note: Currently, Civ 6 does not run on Mac OSX or Linux. Sorry!
Got the specs? Good. Still having trouble or crashing? Well, let's dive in!
2. Update or Install Your Graphics Card Drivers
The number one issue crashing Civilization 6 is out of date graphics card drivers, so that's a good place to start your troubleshooting! Many graphics cards have their own driver-updating platforms, but you can get the direct driver downloads from the official Nvidia and AMD sites.
- Install latest Nvidia drivers from the official Nvidia support site
- Install latest AMD drivers from the official AMD support site
3. Verify Game Cache integrity in Steam
It's not Civilization 6, but this gif shows how to verify cache integrity!
This is an easy one! Some crashes might be coming from Steam itself and how Civilization 6 has been installed. I'll skip the techno jargon, but all you need to do is find Civilization 6 in you Steam Library and then:
- Right-click on Civilization 6 in Steam and select "Properties" from the menu
- Select the "Local Files" tab
- Click the "Verify integrity of game cache" button
After you hit the button, Steam will verify the Civilization 6's files over the course of a few minutes. This often fixes a lot of crashes and bugs - but if it doesn't, then jump to the next thing on our list!
4. Check for Windows 7, 8, 10 Updates
This one is pretty simple as well, thankfully! You might just be playing with an out of date operating system.
- First of all, if you have Windows 7, you need to make sure you've got the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Windows Support site.
- Second, open up the Start menu and go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select "Check for Updates."
5. If You Have Windows 8.1 x64, Make Sure You Have the KB Updates
We've actually got a whole separate article just for this KB update problem, so be sure to read that in full. If you have Windows 8.1 x64, then you might be missing a few crucial Knowledge Base updates. Our article has all the official Microsoft download links you'll need to get this up to par, and we have information about the order in which to install them. The actual order of installation is pretty important!
6. Make Sure You've Got Visual C++ Redistributable 2010
Another problem plaguing PC users on Steam is the lack of the Visual C++ Redistributable 2010 package. In theory, this should auto-install via Steam without you even knowing it. But, in practice, some soon-to-be warlords either don't have the file installed or possibly have a corrupted version.
You can also go download the Redistributable package from Microsoft's Support site. The install is pretty quick and could help you get back to the stars.
7. Turn Down Your Graphics Settings
This is never a fun thing to admit, but your graphics card might not be as powerful or new as you thought.
If your graphics card is no spring chicken, just turn down your graphics settings all the way down, it might help reduce the GFX strain that might be causing crashes!
8. Keep an Eye on the 'Civilization 6' and 2K Twitter Feeds
If none of the above issues can help you, be sure to check out the official Twitter support channels for help on strange bugs and issues.
Well, that does it for our advice on fixing crashes and issues - I hope one of these things helped make your life easier!
Still having issues with Civilization 6 on PC? Have other fix solutions? Let us know in the comments below!