Today marks the release of the mythical, special-event Pokémon Magearna for the new Pokémon Sun and Moon games. Special-event Pokémon are not new to the Pokémon series (we've had one-per-month all year!), but this marks the very first special event available (and exclusive) to Sun and Moon.
What's more: Magearna is one of only two Fairy/Steel-type Pokémon available in Sun and Moon (the other being Klefki), which makes it rare even outside of the fact that it's an event-only Pokémon.
When you get Magearna, it will start at level 50, which could be a nice bonus depending on how far into the post-game you are. In short, don't pass up on an easy mythical Pokémon.
Here's What You'll Have To Do To Get Magearna
- Complete the main story in whichever game you're playing.
- Launch your game and open up the menu.
- Find the page that has "QR Scanner" and select that.
- Aim your 3DS screen at the QR code below and hit "A" or "R."
- Head to Hau'oli City and find the shopping mall.
- Go to the top right corner and find the 'Antiquities of the Ages' shop. If you've successfully scanned Magearna's QR code, you should see an orange-shirt-wearing man (the same one from whom you claim Ash-Greninja and other items transferred from the demo).
- Talk to this fellow and receive your Magearna!
If you've never used the QR Scanner feature, it's quite handy.
And depending on your moral approach to video games, you may or may not find use out of our complete list of QR codes available for Sun and Moon.
Here's What Moves Magearna Has When Claimed
As mentioned, Magearna will be level 50 when first obtained and has offensive Fairy- and Steel-type moves, as well as two stat-altering Normal-type moves.
Additionally, Magearna has a pretty nice passive ability and comes with a held item that you won't want to miss out on:
- Fleur Cannon: Fairy-type special attack (130 Power, 90 Accuracy, 5 PP).
- Flash Cannon: Steel-type special attack (80 Power, 100 Accuracy, 10 PP).
- Lucky Chant: Normal-type move that prevents the opposing Pokemon from landing a critical hit for 5 turns (30 PP).
- Helping Hand: Normal-type move that boosts an ally's attack (20 PP).
Ability (Soul-Heart): Every time a Pokemon faints, Magearna's Special Attack raises.
Held Item (Bottle Cap): "A beautiful bottle cap that gives off a silver gleam. Some people are happy to receive one." This item is required for Hyper Training (more on that below).
Don't Forget Magearna Comes With A Bottle Cap Needed For Hyper Training!
Hyper Training isn't something most players will find use for just yet, but it's definitely something you'll want to remember once you start reaching level 100 on your Pokémon. See, with Hyper Training, you can boost your Pokémons' stats even after they've reached level 100.
Pretty cool, huh?
Thing is, outside of level-100 Pokémon, you also need a Bottle Cap to begin Hyper Training. Know who comes with a Bottle Cap? Magearna, that's who! After claiming Magearna, talk to the old man in the shop just to the left of the Antiquities of the Ages store and he'll get you started.
A Bit More On Magearna
If you want a little extra info on Magearna, the following comes courtesy of the Pokémon Sun and Moon website:
Magearna is a Mythical Pokémon that was created by a scientist of uncommon genius 500 years ago. Magearna has the power to perceive the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of other Pokémon. If a Pokémon is injured, Magearna will feel the other’s pain and suffering and will try as hard as it can to save that Pokémon.
Magearna’s real body is the spherical construction in its chest called the Soul-Heart, created by a scientist who gathered the life energy from Pokémon.
Magearna has the ability to transform itself into the appearance of a Poké Ball! It does so when it sleeps, and apparently also when it's sad.
Keep in mind, this particular event only lasts until March 2017! That may seem like a while, but it could easily slip your mind if you tell yourself you'll grab it later. Trust me, I've been there.
And if you want to make sure you have all the other legendary Pokémon and Ultra Beasts the game has to offer, be sure to check out our guide on how and where to catch them all!
How is your legendary Pokémon collection coming in Sun and Moon?