Los Santos might be a sandbox filled with crime, numerous complex mysteries and as much wanton destruction as you can inflict. But there are a few things that #GTAV is not, and that's where the mod community comes in.
There are mods for just about everything. We've even seen mods that let users play Pokemon GO, but what if we want something more? What if we want to turn Grand Theft Auto 5 into an epic sprawling RPG, complete with skill trees, character customization, new abilities to learn and much more?
Unsurprisingly there's a mod for just that, which covers the things we'd expect to see from an RPG, including:
- Exp system and level ups
- NPC dialogue trees
- RNG loot drops
- Quest system
- RPG UI
- In-depth skill trees
The aptly named GTA RPG mod brings a lot of these features to GTA 5, but getting it running requires a bit of work.
How To Make 'GTA 5' An Epic RPG
Before we install the mod, we're going to need a couple of other mods installed to make GTA RPG run correctly.
- Microsoft.Net Framework 4.5.2 (Or Higher. Skip this step if on Windows 10)
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2013 (x64).
- Script Hook V
- ScriptHookVDotNet v1.1
- Download Community Script Hook V .NET and copy the ASI file into your game directory
How To Install GTA RPG
With everything else installed, we can now focus on getting GTA RPG up and running.
- Download GTA RPG
- Copy the entire GTARPG folder into your "scripts" folder inside Grand Theft Auto V's install directory 'scripts/GTARPG/ *etc*'
- Run the game and press Y to enter RPG mode
That should be about everything you need to get started, let us know how your epic role playing experience pans out.
Honestly the saddest thing about GTA RPG is that work on the project seems to have stopped. So whilst we can experience Grand Theft Auto 5 in a new light, for now it's an unpolished gem. But we have hope for the future!
GTA RPG is a huge step away from the game we've come to know and love, but a welcome take on it. Will you be checking it out?