With one of the most recognizable names in gaming and a franchise dating back several decades, it's no wonder people have a love for Mario. And, much like what has been done with Pokémon, the truest of fans have decided to immortalize their Mario fandom with a tattoo.
Below, we have a collection of 29 impressive Mario tattoos. As can be expected, this selection is only the tip of the iceberg, but the assortment of characters, styles, and even crossover selections really emphasizes how much Mario's fans really love him.
(Note: If you happen to recognize the artist on any of the tattoos where no artist is listed, please let us know so we can share their other work!)
1. Jurassic Mario Mashup Tattoo
Made by Marc Durrant at MD Tattoo Studio in Northridge, CA
2. Villainous Mario Leg Piece
Made by Ian Olsen from Wolf/Sheep Arthouse in Victoria, BC
3. One-Up Mushroom Mario Tattoo Sleeve
Made by Mina at Hawk and Sparrows in Malmö, Sweden
4. A Vibrant Mario, Luigi, and Bowser Tattoo
5. Mario Brothers Tattoo For Two Brothers
Made by Derek Burton at Art and Soul Winnipeg, Man, Canada
6. 'Fallout' Meets A Terrifying Piranha Plant
Made by Jack Cordwell at Black Kraken Tattoo in Ashton, England
7. Raccoon Mario Shows How To Get By Those Pesky Plants
Made by Jamie Lee Parker
8. This Huge Half Sleeve Mario Kingdom Tattoo
Made by Kid at Estudio 184 in Mexico City
9. When Mario Eats The Wrong Mushroom
Made by Felipe Rodrigues
10. Amazing Tattoo Of Mario Trying To Rescue The Princess (Again)
11. An Introspective Mario Looks On His 8-Bit Past
Made by Chris Bath of Cherry Hill Tattoo, in Bonita Springs, Fl
12. A Truly Super Mushroom
Made by Josh Herman at Good Family Tattoo on Lake villa, Il
13. Mario Golf Flag
Made by Jay Blackburn, Powerline Tattoo RI
For those who don't instantly recognize this image, look no further than this still from Mario Golf Toadstool Tour.
14. They Complete Each Other
15. But Who Wore It Better?
Made by Brandon David
16. Mario-nette Tattoo
Made by Florian Riedel at Bleksmiðjan in Reykjavík, Iceland
17. Dapper King Boo Tattoo
18. A Beautiful, Watercolor-Style Mushroom
Made by Heather Maranda at Area 51, Springfield Oregon
20. A Portrait-Style Chest Tattoo
21. Adorable Mario and Luigi
22. Giving New Meaning To Whispering Boo In Someone's Ear
23. A Work-In-Progress Of The Classics
Made by R.J. Grijalva at Black Anvil Tattoo in San Diego, CA
24. The Stars Have Your... Front!
Made by Josh Woods
25. The Yoshi That's Hard To Forget
26. Wall-E Meets Mario
Made by Leif at Studio XIII in Cocoa Beach, FL
27. Star Wars Meets Mario
28. No Obstacle Too Great When You're A Star
Made by Niki at Dynamic Ink and Steel in Saginaw, Michigan
29. Classic Mario Puts On A Show
Made by John Parker at Southsea Tattoo Co. in Portsmouth Hampshire UK
As I said earlier, there are several more Mario tattoos out there. But I think what I love most is that there is a wide variety of Mario tattoos, all of which hearken back to a particular era of the playful plumber.
Which of these tattoos is your favorite?