A new Batman game is set to take to flight sometime this year, apparently leaked all over Reddit (the post has since been removed) by a disgruntled Warner Bros. employee. Dubbed Batman: Arkham Insurgency by the uncorroborated source, this (if true) would be the first time WB Games Montreál has worked with the Dark Knight since the developer's middlingly received Arkham Origins.
So many things are said to change for the young and inexperienced Bat in Insurgency, like combat, location and even talk of a playable sidekick. So let's dive in and have a look at what to expect from a new #Batman game in 2017. Oh, and remember: This leak may not have any basis in reality, though it seems likely we'll see some kind of return to Arkham at #E3 2017.
'Batman: Arkham Insurgency' Rumors: Narrative & Characters
- Batman: Arkham Insurgency is said to be set three years after the events of Batman: Arkham Origins, which places it in prequel territory.
- Batman: Arkham Insurgency is reported to be taking place in a coastal area of Gotham City, to possibly shake up the setting and move us away from the monotony of the city's shady, gothic locales.
- The game's storyline will allegedly see the Batman (Roger Craig Smith) take on the mysterious illuminati-esque Court of Owls and their leader, the aptly named Owlman.
- But besides taking on the Owls, a mass breakout has been staged at Blackgate Prison and Arkham Asylum. Guess who'll have to stop all of them?
- Batman won't be alone in his fight for Gotham City's soul, as comic-book's greatest sidekick Robin will finally be a fully playable character. And this Robin is said to be the one and only Dick Grayson, as opposed to the rumored Damian Wayne.
- Naturally with this being an Arkham game, there will be numerous members of Bats' Rogue's Gallery to take down, besides the Court of Owls. Said to be making an appearance in Batman: Arkham Insurgency are: Maxie Zeus, Dollmaker, Killer Moth, Anarky, Two-Face, Blockbuster, Ventriloquist, Cornelius Stirk, Tweedledee & Tweedledum, Dusan al Ghul, Mad Monk, Dala and The Riddler.
- The Joker (Troy Baker) will, of course, be making his presence felt in the game. Being relegated from main villain allows the role to be toyed with somewhat, and with this revelation comes a more morally ambiguous Joker who may even help the Dynamic Duo in situations if said situations benefit his own nefarious tastes.
- With Bats still being relatively new to the vigilante game, we can expect him to be receiving help from the likes of Alfred, Lucius Fox and Barb Gordon.
How Will 'Batman: Arkham Insurgency' Play?
- Not too dissimilar to past Arkham games. Though the Arkham series' customary brutal brawling system will see an overhaul in Batman: Arkham Insurgency, in order to get more out of one on one fights.
- Love them or hate them, The Riddler's divisive collectibles will be making a return, as will his raceway time attack tracks.
- The Dynamic Duo will be able to fast travel to places like Wayne Manor and the Batcave, as well as enter most buildings in Gotham City.
Will The Batmobile Play A Major Role In 'Batman: Arkham Insurgency'?
Though not the worst game ever made, Batman: Arkham Knight had some glaring issues that rendered the game unplayable for some—me included—like the endless, boring tank battles that turned the game into one massive grindfest. And that terrible, terrible, terrible boss battle against Arkham Knight and his dumb drill that resembles a male Transformer's genitalia.
Thankfully, word is Batman: Arkham Insurgency will be doing away with the Bat-Tank as main character, but it will still be available to chase and seriously injure goons in car chases with.
Batman: Arkham Insurgency Release Date & Platforms
With next to no concrete information surrounding the game, the best we can say is expect it to release on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Whether or not it will be coming to Nintendo Switch is, right now, anyone's guess.