Pokémon GO's Generation 2 update is set to be released soon. In December, we got baby Pokémons like Pichu and Togepi out of eggs, and now it seems more changes are on their way.
When the holiday festivities in #PokémonGo came to a close, Niantic released a small patch. This update wasn't very interesting in itself, but it did leak some very exciting information about future implementations to the game; one of them being the promise of the so called evolution items.
What Are Evolution Items?
Do you remember how to evolve Slowpoke or Onix in Pokémon? It doesn't happen in the old fashioned way where you just level them up. They need an evolution item or object that specifically triggers a Pokemon's change from one form to another.
And some of those are coming to #PokemonGo it seems. Which means we'll be able to evolve the Pokémon who'd otherwise be stuck in their early forms.
Which Pokémon Work With Evolution Items?
The information about the evolution items was hidden in Pokemon GO's APK code (the file format used by Android mobile apps) regarding the new, small patch, which dataminers quickly deciphered. They discovered that Niantic plans to release five evolution items at a minimum, and all of them will be familiar to those who played earlier Pokemon games.
Here's Pokemon GO's five evolution items and which Pokemon they've previously evolved:
- Slowpoke into Slowking
- Polywhirl into Politoed
Just used for Slowking and Politoed, the King's rock is shaped like a crown. It used to evolve the two pokémon if you traded them while they were equipped with the item.
- Gloom into Bellossom
- Sunkern into Sunflora
- Cottonee into Whimsicott
- Petilil into Lilligant
- Helioptile into Heliolisk
The Sun Stone is orange in appearance and usually makes grass-type Pokémon with some connection to the sun evolve.
- Onix into Steelix
- Scyther into Scizor
Apparently harvested from defeated Pokémon made out of metal (do we skin them?), the Metal Coat evolves Onix and Scyther when traded.
- Seadra into Kingdra
Like Metal Coat, Dragon Scale is also harvested from other defeated Pokémon. In this case though, it can be found on a variety of the different Dragon-type Pokémon in the game.
- Porygon into Porygon2
Only used to evolve one of the weirdest Pokémon in the game, Porygon, Up-Grade was produced by Silph. Co. and resembles a CD.
Also Teased: New Moves And Genders
Besides the evolution items, the data miners also discovered some other interesting features which should be coming to Pokémon GO soon. Here's a short recap.
- 38 new moves are coming to the game: We're going to see quick moves like Dragon Tail, Fire Spin and Bullet Seed on top of charge moves like Avalanche, Sky Attack and Energy Ball.
- Unown is on its way: The mysterious Pokémon is coming in different shapes and forms as is fitting.
- New code for shiny and Pokémon-gender: It seems Pokémon genders are very much on their way, and the same are special, rare and shiny versions of the regular pocket monsters.
- New "News"-section will be implemented: Which will allow us to keep updated on the game in the actual game. Clever!
- More avatar customization: Belts, glasses and necklaces for all.