2017 got off to a terrifying start with Resident Evil 7, and Outlast 2 is following suit, setting up the year as one of the most horrifying in video game history.
In Outlast 2 you can't rely on your combat efficiency to survive but rather your journalistic powers of documentation and your ability to hide or escape real good. That might sound off-putting, but it's an incredibly effective approach to gameplay and creates an immersive, helpless #horror experience. But to make things worse, you'll have to collect video footage and notes along the way!
We're going to show you how to get to all of those found on Chapter 1: Genesis of #Outlast2 and we will update this piece when we get new information.
The Locations Of All Recordings And Notes In Outlast 2
The main goal of Outlast 2 isn't just survival, it's also ensuring the world will know the truth about the nightmarish Temple Gate cult existing in the Arizonian desert. As an idealistic journalist, your character Blake wants to document all the horrible stuff he sees, using a battery-consuming handycam.
- Check Out These Scary Games Based On Chilling Real Life Events
- Sh** Out Of Luck: Kickstarter Campaign For 'Outlast 2' Adult Diapers Fails To Meet Its Goal
- 'Outlast 2' Was Banned And Unbanned In Australia, But Nothing Changed In Game
All collectibles, video footage and notes appear in the 'Recordings' folder on your camera, as Blake snaps shots or records events. These pieces of documentation provide extra insight into the mysteries of the Temple Gate community and can be rewatched at any time in the camera database.
Locations Of Notes And Recordings In Chapter 1: Genesis
Whenever Blake finds something interesting or watches a scary event unfold in Outlast 2, you'll begin recording. This is indicated by a red circle appearing on screen, which slowly fills up until the shot is finished.
Here's the (long) list of the locations of all note and recording collectibles in Outlast 2's first chapter, divided into the smaller sections of the chapter and listed in the order you'll come across them.
- Recording 1: Automatically obtained in the intro.
- Recording 2: Automatically obtained in the intro.
- Recording 3: Record the helicopter crash site.
- Recording 4: The body of the pilot, strung-up on the tree beyond the crash.
- Recording 5: Record the town in the distance after sliding down from the short canyon.
- Note 6: Enter the second house you encounter and look on the table with the corpse on it.
- Note 7: In the bright area of town with the stable (and dead cow), turn left and look for a door you can open near a burnt corpse in the darkness. The note is on a table in the center of the room.
- Recording 8: Follow the path past the corpse of the cow to a dead end with a "tragedy wall" over a barbed wire fence.
- Note 9: Found in the sacrificial manger, before leaving the cellar.
- Note 10: After escaping the first killer, climb up into the loft in the barn using the cart on wheels. The letter is next to the lantern.
- Note 11: Just after the bright white flash that halts the cultists, look on the ground on the left side of the path before reaching the church. There's a body with a note next to it.
- Recording 12: Take footage of the church building, found after that bright flash of white light.
- Note 13: On the altar, through the door to the right after entering the church.
- Note 14: Inside the prison, in the church underground, drop into the hole in the center to find this note on the metal grating.
- Note 15: Go up the ladder from the prison to reach the living quarters. Go upstairs here to find a note on the desk.
Saint Sybil School
- Recording 16: Back in the school, look at the blackboard with the suicide note in the music room.
- Recording 17: After sleeping in Ethan's cellar, break through the floor to escape and find his dead body. Record the corpse.
- Note 18: In the same room as Ethan's corpse, still in the house, take the note near the bed, to the left of the exit door.
- Recording 19: After crossing the water and finding the bridge, you'll encounter crucified heretics to the right. Record the corpses.
- Note 20: Before reaching the cornfields, turn left at the burning heretics and enter the small covered shed. There's a seating area with a note—don't miss the extra bandages and batteries here.
- Recording 21: As you enter the cornfield path, run to the far end of the road and record the woman dragging the body on the other side of the locked gate.
- Note 22: After escaping the cornfield and hopping over the fence, you'll drop down with a farmhouse on the left. Run on the porch, and look on the floor near the locked door. There's a very easy-to-miss note here.
- Note 23: Found in the loft of the barn, after pushing the wheeled cart and escaping the cornfield. Found in the room with the chain you'll need to interact with.
- Note 24: On a stool near a statue of Mary, down the hill after getting knocked out of the barn loft.
- Recording 25: After escaping the barn, you'll see another flash of bright light in the distance. Record the area and capture the flock of dead birds on the ground.
- Recording 26: In the canyon, you'll crawl through a pitch-black cave and exit into a chamber with a massive strange edifice. Record the winged figure to unlock a audio clip.
Temple Gate Town Square
- Recording 27: After leaving the heretic cavern, you'll get a good view of the town in the distance.
- Note 28: Enter the first house of the town, through the broken steps and find this note on a desk opposite the hanging skinned corpses.
- Note 29: In the same house as the previous note, go to the second floor and find this to the left of the exit window on the desk before pushing the shelf.
- Note 30: When searching for the generator, hop the fence on the main road to the left and look down for a tiny basement window. Crawl inside the house through this window. Enter the interior basement room to find the note on the desk.
- Note 31: In the same area as the previous note, go to the fourth house on the right of the main path. The lights are on inside. Go around the back to find a window you can climb through. Move down to the basement and push the tool container to find a secret room with this note.
- Note 32: On the workbench near the generator room, on the top floor of the warehouse.
- Recording 33: After exiting the elevator (the one that requires the generator to power up) you'll reach the Temple Gate sign. Record the large plaque illuminated by the spotlight.
- Note 34: Exit the elevator to the upper part of the Temple Gate Square, and turn left from the sign. There's a dead body on a tree in the corner by the fence with this hard-to-spot note.
- Recording 35: During the third school dream, record Jessica's suicide in the hallway.
- Recording 36: Record the woman chained to the bed at the far end of the secret path in the basement of the children's bunk building.
- Note 37: Past the chamber with the corpse of the woman chained to a bed, you'll have to crawl along a ledge to pass the pit full of corpses at the bottom of the well. Find this note on the ledge facing the pit.
- Note 38: Once you drop down into the old school house basement, enter the optional room directly to the right. It's on the bookshelf.
- Recording 39: Record the bloody scene with the dead teacher and the blackboard writing.
- Note 40: In the attic of the old school house.
- Note 41: Once you drop out of the school house attic, look for a baby carriage with this note before pushing the wheelbarrow and hopping the fence. Find it in the corner.
- Note 42: After pushing the wheelbarrow and climbing over the gate, look in the work shed to the right, behind the praying woman and the statue of Christ.
- Note 43: Located on the raised wooden porch in the back-left corner of the open town area. Grab this before pushing the wheelbarrow and summoning Marta.
- Note 44: After jumping the gate and escaping Marta, enter the first house with the unlocked door on the right. Enter the bedroom and push the shelf to find a hidden room.
- Recording 45: Ahead, record the large church in the distance. You'll go inside that church shortly.
- Note 46: On the path up to Knoth's chapel, look to the left when you approach for an open gate that leads into a graveyard. There's another pew with a document to the left, through the gates.
- Note 47: In the lobby of Knoth's church.
The Road to the Mine
- Recording 48: After the scene with Knoth in the church, record the two torture victims after the church leader's entourage leaves.
- Note 49: After jumping down from the water tower, enter the house with the woman and dead children. The note is in the second room, past the cradling woman.
- Note 50: Leaving the house with the dead children through the window, immediately turn right. There's a campfire with a lone passive cultist. Look to the boarded-up house opposite the fire and climb through the open window. The note is on the table.
- Note 51: When Marta appears near the path to the slaughterhouse entrance, turn around and follow the left path toward the barn. Crawl through the opening in the doorway to find this note on a desk inside.
- Recording 52: Record the disgusting hanging corpses in the slaughterhouse passage after escaping the cross-wielding woman.
- Note 53: In the slaughterhouse, after collecting the hook, enter the bloody chamber with the cow corpses to find a note in the back corner.
- Note 54: Blake remarks that he's finally on the path to the mines. Ahead, you'll reach a creepy structure up a series of wooden steps. There's an altar at the base with this note.
- Recording 55: After crawling through the opening above the door, you'll enter the school dream for a fourth time. Record the wall with the scribbled image of Jessica hanging.
Locations Of Notes And Recordings In Chapter 2: Job
Below is a list of the locations of all note and recording collectibles in Outlast 2's second chapter, taking place entirely in the Scalled Village. The guide has been divided into the smaller sections of the chapter and listed in the order you'll come across them.
- Recording 56: Once you escape the hangman dream in the school, take footage of the rickety wooden raised tracks as you leave the narrow cavern.
- Note 57: Moving down the cliffs, stop when you reach the tracks. Instead of crossing the bridge, look toward the rocks blocking the tracks -- there's a small alcove with a note.
- Recording 58: Keep your camera out when crossing the bridge to witness the swarm of locusts.
- Note 59: After falling off the bridge due to the locust swarm, you'll pull yourself out of the trees and follow the stream. Along the way, look for a dead body. There's a note by the corpse.
- Recording 60: Continuing down the stream, you'll crawl through a hollow log and reach a gate on the right. Record that gate.
- Note 61: Past the "Sickness" gate, drop down into the canyon from the cliffs to the left and look on the ground near the Scalled body.
- Note 62: As you enter the Scalled camp, look for a cavern on the right side. Weave around the sick creatures and climb up the ledge to a dead end alcove.
- Note 63: Up the hill from the watery cave, there's a small locked shocked. Look in the window to see the Scalled pissing in the puddle -- circle around and crawl into the shack through that puddle to get the note.
- Note 64: Continue up into the camp. There's one house surrounded by more Scalled - hurry inside and get this note before a knife-wielding killer closes in on you.
- Recording 65: Record the "Sickness" gate you saw earlier, only this time from the inside. You'll get a quick view of that hulking Scalled wielding a crossbow.
St. Sybil Administration
- Recording 66: Examining the computer screen in the dream sequence, then enter the now-open doorway down the hall. As you enter, it will pulsate with strange flesh. Record this event.
A Call for Help
- Recording 67: Starting from the school cafeteria, leave and go left down the hall to the office on the left. Enter the door (don't follow the shadow just yet!) and record the sickness that appears in this room.
The Last Supper
- Note 68: Escaping the dream sequence with the first monster appearance, exit the closet into a room with writing on the walls. Check the desk here to get a note.
- Recording 69: Crawl out of the open grave, then find the wall of barbed wire the Scalled used to capture you. It's in the corner of this graveyard, to the back-right.
- Note 70: Collect this note from an open grave, located near Blake's shallow burial site
- Note 71: Once you slide under the fence of the Scalled graveyard, you'll enter a small camp with a note on the table to the left of the fire.
- Recording 72: Past the small camp, you'll reach a fence and hear a scream. There's a hanging body from a tall tree, and several hunters standing beneath him. Record this incident.
- Note 73: Jump into the structure on the cliff's edge where you'll need a rope to climb down to the river below. A note is found inside.
- Recording 74: Record the Scalled corpses after they fall. Don't start crawling or you'll enter the school dream!
The School Roof
- Recording 75: Record the mural on the wall that changes shape after putting away that document in the cafeteria.
Locations Of Notes And Recordings In Chapter 3: Lamentations
Check out the list of the locations of all note and recording collectibles in Outlast 2's third chapter, Lamentations.
- Recording 76: When you get closer to the lake you will notice a person entering the lake. Before that you can find heads on the beach. Record them.
- Note 77: Is in tThe house on the left looking from the perspective of the picture above. You must crawl under the bridge in order to get inside.
- Note 78: Jump from the balustrade in the house where you can find the previous note. Go, and then swim left as far as you can. On a small island you can find the sleeping bed and inside of it there is the note.
- Recording 79: Behind the houses on the right you can find the entrance to the hill. When you use the steps you can see a flash, the characteristic noise and two metal towers that must be recorded. You must do it quickly.
- Note 80: The note in the first opened house near the raft.
- Recording 81: On the beach near the houses next to the lake you can find the HELP sign made out of branches.
- Note 82: Before you go on the raft reach the edge of the beach with the HELP sign. There, you can find a way up and a cave. Inside of it you find another note.
- Recording 83: Swim on the raft. After a while you are blinded by light and right after it you will notice fish. You don't have much time to record them.
- Recording 84: When you swim on the river then, after a while, you notice a burning person falling from a cliff. Get closer and record drowned people.
- Note 85: After you fall from the raft go on the beach. Turn left and right next to the shore you can find this note.
- Recording 86: Before you get to the raft you can see a corpse with its intestines out and stretched. This can be found near the tree that you must knock down in order to get on the other side of the river.
- Recording 87: In the woman toilet you can see the shower with blood pouring out of it. Record it.
Locations Of Notes And Recordings In Chapter 4: Judges
Here's the list of the locations of all note and recording collectibles in Outlast 2's fourth chapter, judges.
- Recording 88: The first recording is found after you exit the building into the raining blood. Record it with your camera before moving on.
- Note 89: Look for a doorway with three dead bodies around it, all hanging from hooks on the wall. Head inside the door to the left and down a set of stairs. You’ll find the document by head through the next door and around the right side of the room, behind the large wooden keg-like structures.
- Recording 90: The next recording is found when you head to the library in the school. Interact with the computer where Blake and Jessica have been chatting and the computer screens will start to go crazy. When this happens, pull out your camera and record it.
- Note 91: Look for a building with a door that is hanging on its side. Head inside, and make your way down a small hall on the right after you turn the first corner. This document can be found next to a dead body on a table at the end of the hall.
- Recording 92: You can find the next recording after climbing along the outside of the school. Exit the classroom and head down the hall to see several Jessica’s hanging outside. Record the scene with your camera before you continue.
- Note 93: After finding yourself in the room with the cart, climb over the edge of the roof and head down the stairs, making your way forward in the only way that you can. The document can be found a short way down the path, after you crawl through a hole in the bottom of the wall. Look for it around to the left of the next area.
Locations Of Notes And Recordings In Chapter 5: Leviticus
Below you can see the list of the locations of all note and recording collectibles in Outlast 2's fifth chapter, Leviticus.
- Recoding 94: After falling down the elevator, pull out your camera and head down the only way that you can. Continue forward, and after the elevator crashes at the end, use your camera to record the wreckage.
- Note 95: Head through the mine tunnels and follow the track as it heads downward even more. After you see a shadow in the distance, keep pushing until you spot this document on the ground to the left of the track. Capture it with your camera before moving on.
- Recording 96: Follow the path back to where you saw the shadow, and head the other way. Go beneath the debris in the water, and then move down the tunnel towards Lyn’s screams. Use the ladder to the left of the tunnel and climb down. Look for a skinned man near a fire on the right side of the path.
- Recording 97: The next recording is found later as you journey through the mines. Look for several bodies tied to the right-hand wall of the tunnel and record it.
- Note 98: After pushing the minecart with bones in it out of the way, head down the track and crawl under the debris. Once on the other side, keep pushing forward, and then veer off the track in front of you to find this document.
- Recording 99: Head back to the track after grabbing the last document and continue moving towards Lynn and the others. The scene that you need to record is found after you crawl through the rock tunnel. Once on the other side, head down the stairs and out the door at the bottom. Record the scene outside, next to the fire.
- Note 100: Players can find the next document as they continue their journey through the mines. Head down the path until you reach some water at the bottom of a short drop. Follow the water until you spot an area you can shimmy through, and move through it to reach another area with a fire. This document can be found next to the dead body at the fire.
- Note 101: Keep pushing forward until you cross over the broken tracks and move deeper into the mins. This document is found near a cave-in, next to a skeleton. Grab it before moving on.
Locations Of Notes And Recordings In Chapter 6: Revelations
Here's the locations of all note and recording collectibles in Outlast 2's sixth and last chapter, Revelations.
- Recording 102: This recording is found after you meet back up with Lynn. Head up the hill and out into the forest. Make sure you have your camera out to record the incoming storm as it picks up.
- Recording 103: The next recording is found after Lynn begins to have trouble with the baby. Head across the wooden bridge in front of you, and focus the camera on the massive ball of fire in the sky to grab this recording.
- Recording 104: After Lynn has the baby and Blake awakens next to Knoth, pull out your camera and record the scene.
- Recording 105: The final recording is found as Blake walks out of the village, bearing witness to the carnage that has overtaken Temple Gate. Near the well, look at the bodies and use your camera to grab this final recording and bring your hunt for all of Outlast 2’s collectibles to an end.
Did we miss any Outlast 2 collectibles? Let us know in the comments!
(Source: Escapist Magazine)