Hot off the heels of its last X-Legend game, Dragomon Hunter, Aeria Games' most recent foray into the MMORPG genre comes in the form of Twin Saga, an Aura Kingdom/Eden Eternal/Grand Fantasia clone with updated graphics, switch-on-the-fly classes (need advice on what class to play?), lolis and shotas galore, and a whole army of bots already proliferating its server. While Twin Saga itself may not have the most amazing lore, nor the most heart-rendering storyline, it does have something that sets it apart from other anime MMOs—a penchant for the facetious. When it's not rattling off pages of rich, over-embellished, absurdly comical dialogue, it's shooting out meme after meme in its quest titles, item descriptions, and names—some of which might actually question what you just read on the screen.
Twin Saga entered its open beta on the first of September, but we'll take a look at just some of the more bizarre offerings we've found already in this otherwise cutesy, high-fantasy, anime tale.
1. I Doubt Your Commitment to Sparkle Motion
Where's Kitty when you need her?
2. Freudian Slip?
Message saved. Forever.
"Oh, that's great. Great, thank you. Yeah, go ahead and save that one, why don't you, yeah."
3. Bulbird Boy Toy
It would take me a while to get over something like that, too...
4. Born This Way
I know that we are young, and I know that you may love me, but I just can't be with you like this anymore.
5. Tonight We Dine at Olive Garden
Is he reading off a menu or trying to remember the password?
6. Iron Man 4
There have been rumors that Stark might kick the bucket.
7. Going Meta
If only it were that easy to take care of life's monsters... like my rent, for instance.
8. Kids These Days
With your card games, and your loud music, and your hula hoops, and your hopscotch, and your dungarees, and your lollipops, and your Sony Playstations, and your voice-activated light switches, and your leather pants, and your artificial insemination...
9. A (Sapphire) Star is Born
It's a baby girl! Erm, fairy! ...thing...
10. Those Quest Names
Video game refs and memes abound in almost every single quest name. Here's just some of our favorites:
- "Elf Wiedersehen" —it's literally a quest where you say farewell to a pair of elves
- "Hyper Lode Stunner" —now I really miss my old Game Boy
- "Disobey Your Thirst" —a quest where you drive away sprites. Get it? Sprites.
- "Jayne is Love, Jayne is Life" —the first in a series of quests regarding decidedly ogre-like monsters...
- "Yell Dead Intel" —'zat you, Dead Cell?
- "Scientific Progress Goes 'Blub'" —Bill Watterson would be proud
- "The Black Wind Howls" —the villain's name is even "Janus"
- "Snooping as Usual, I See" —that's NO good!