If your year was anything like mine, 2016 located your wallet, sucked every cent out of it and made off with the cheap leather that clung to its exterior. Bastard. But while I may have been drained of any monetary stability that I professed to have—I lied—my gaming library has only grown in size and worth. And, judging by these new figures in from Valve, a lot of you were in on the fun!
The 100 Steam Games That Made The Most Dosh In The Year That Was
In a year that saw 40% of all games on #Steam released, some titles were more successful than others—like, a lot more. Though Valve didn't release exact numbers, the Half-Life 3 deniers did create categories to highlight some of the biggest winners when it came to $$$. They went as follows:
- Platinum - The top dogs, otherwise known as that #Overwatch ranking I struggle to bypass.
- Gold - Games that made a lot of money; the kind of money you'd be quite happy to receive as a gift (though you'd still be kinda embarrassed cause seriously gran, where'd you get this kind of capital?!)
- Silver - Some pretty high achievers! I also bought four of them...
- Bronze - Still a lot of money, but we imagine not as much as the Platinum games. Cause these are Bronze. Which is a lower ranking. I'll shut up.
Exact figures weren't offered up and Valve didn't organize the games in any particular order, so it's more of a general insight into what we were all playing. But it's fascinating nonetheless to see which #VideoGames had the biggest impact in 2016. Did you play any of them?
- XCOM 2 - BUY IT! Didn't get enough praise, this is a masterful strategy game.
- Rocket League - One of the best games ever? Probably.
- Counter Strike: Global Offensive - Still raking in the cash!
- Dark Souls III - I love it. But I hate it. But I love it.
- Tom Clancy's: The Division - Yeah, we all bought it...
- Fallout 4 - How this wasteland drained our wallets!
- No Man's Sky - Disappointing... them sales though.
- Grand Theft Auto V - Yeah, still a masterpiece.
- Civilization VI - Sean Bean simulator is the best Sean Bean simulator yet.
- DOTA 2 - A lot of money for a free to play game.
- Total War: Warhammer - Warhammer + Total War = MOOONEY
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - One of the greatest games ever still making money.
- Dead By Daylight - Survival horror delights.
- ARK: Survival Evolved - Yep, people still love riding dinosaurs. Wait...
- Rise of the Tomb Raider - A modern masterpiece, so much fun!
- Warframe - Another free to play game raking in the cash.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Making more money than Infinite Warfare. Good.
- Stellaris - What a hit this strategy game was!
- Team Fortress 2 - Overwatch will never kill it off.
- ARMA III - Nothing like a classic.
- Stardew Valley - This makes me so happy.
- H1Z1: King Kill - Zombiiiiies!!
- DOOM - The soundtrack alone is worth face value.
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - A surprisingly fun addition to the franchise!
- Europa Universalis IV - Never heard of it, but well done!
- Payday 2 - Payday indeed.
- Rust - The dick simulator knows how to attract cash.
- Civilization V - Finally got around to buying and playing it this year. Wonderful game!
- War Thunder - Free to play, but not really, cause money.
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - A damn good RPG enjoying some monetary success!
- Smite - Makes sense, this game is so damn popular.
- Hearts of Iron IV - Yet again, never heard of you.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - You can't put a good dragon down.
- Subnautica - Swimming in profits.
- Watch Dogs 2 - Nice to see a great game generating some funds.
- Cities Skylines - Who doesn't want to build cities?!
- The Elder Scrolls Online - Tamriel Unlimited Dollars.
- Far Cry Primal - We all wanted to throw spears at mammoths.
- Planet Coaster - Nostalgia is strong with this one.
For everything else on the list, you can check out the Steam page over here!
How many of these games saw some of your hard earned cash in 2016?
How many of these games did you give money to?
Here's what we consider to be the best games of 2016: