So, now that you've crushed the Elite Four like seven times, caught the legendary Mew, and screwed up your save file with Missingno, you're probably bored to tears with your leap back into the original [Pokémon](tag:2538552) games. However, what if I told you that you can use your hardened team of deadly monsters to terrorize and fight some old man? Doesn't that sound like fun?
Using the following steps, I'll tell you how to defy the wishes of the game's creators and fight the illustrious Professor Oak.
What you’ll need:
- A fully healed party, ready to go in the PC
- A Pokémon that knows Fly
- A Pokémon with a 226 SPECIAL stat
- A Pokémon that knows Growl
1. Start in Lavender Town and head right onto Route 8 until you see the guy pictured below. DO NOT fight him, at least not yet.
2. Without entering the trainer’s line of sight, head to the tile directly underneath the entrance to the underground path.
3. Press down and start at the same time and enter into the trainer’s field of view. Use the Pokemon that knows Fly in your party and head over to Cerulean City. (Note: After you hit fly, an exclamation point should appear above the trainer’s head, but instead of fighting, you should instead fly away.)
4. At this point, you shouldn’t be able to press any buttons. Head up to Route 24 and travel across Nugget Bridge and take a left at the end to find Youngster hanging out in the grass (pictured below). Fight the trainer and defeat him.
5. Now fly to Fuchsia City; here you’ll need that Pokémon with the 226 SPECIAL stat and a Pokémon that knows Growl. Head right to Route 15 and find a wild Ditto in the grass. Let that Ditto transform into your Pokémon with the 226 SPECIAL stat.
6. Switch to your Pokémon that knows Growl. Now, Professor Oak’s team has three slightly different variants; whatever variant you fight directly depends on how many times you use Growl on that wild Ditto that you find here. Growl 4 times and Oak has a Blastoise, 5 times and he has a Venusaur, and 6 times and he has a Charizard. Once you’ve used Growl the necessary number of times, just run away from that silly putty monster.
7. Once you’re through growling at Dittos, return to Lavender Town and prepare for your fight with the illustrious professor. Head to the PC and grab your fighting team, but DO NOT heal them or save the game, this may reset the glitch.
8. Exit the Pokémon center and head to the exit on the left side of town. Your menu should pop up without any prompt from you; this means that you’ve successfully executed the glitch and you’re ready to fight Grandpa.
9. Exit the menu and beat up that old man with your scary monsters (who says that Pokémon is only for kids?).
Kudos to E-lo on YouTube for his video on how to battle this legend: