ByKen McDonnell, writer at
Now Loading's sentimental Irishman. I can't stop playing Overwatch, please send help.
Ken McDonnell

Picture the average gamer. What do you see? How old are they? How often do they play? What do they play? Well, The Entertainment Software Association has published its annual report on the essential facts about gaming habits in America and they may challenge how you think about the average gamer.

Over 4,000 households were surveyed nationwide in order to present a clearer image of how the average American interacts with the gaming industry. You can check out the full report over here, but we've amassed some of the more interesting statistics for you to easily digest below.

Picturing The Average Modern American Gamer


  • 63% of U.S. households surveyed include at least one frequent gamer.
  • 65% of homes owned some form of video game-playing device.
  • 48% of those surveyed owned "a dedicated game console."
  • 47% of American gamers are between the ages of 18 and 49.
  • The average age for a male gamer is 35 whereas the average age for a woman is 44.
  • 59% of people who actually play video games are men; 41 percent are women.
  • The average gamer had been interacting with video games for over 13 years.

Spending Our Cash

  • The average age for those who buy games on a regular basis is 38 years old.
  • 60% of those who buy games are men, while the remaining 40% are women.
  • It seems that 41% of those who buy new games don't play it before committing to buying it.
  • Consumers spent $23.5 billion on the gaming industry in 2015. $16.5 billion was spent on gaming content alone. DAYUM.
  • "Since 2010, more and more buyers are spending their money on digital releases. Last year, 56 percent of sales were made digitally. That's a four percent increase over last year." - Polygon

How We Game

  • The PC is at the top of the charts with 56% of those surveyed playing on these devices, followed by dedicated consoles at 53% and smartphones at 36%.
  • Handheld devices were the at the bottom of the list with just 17% of frequent players claiming to use those devices.
  • 50% of gaming consoles are used to watch movies on. All dat Netflix.
  • 54% of those surveyed played games with other people, 40% of which played with friends, while 21% played with family members.
  • Those who play video games online spent an average of 6.5 hours a week playing with others.

Virtual Reality & Esports

  • Half of those asked were familiar with the concept of esports. 45 percent of those who follow esports do so through social media.
  • 55% of those who play games regularly are aware of virtual reality headsets, and 40% claimed that they were likely to purchase one of the systems within the next 12 months. Will you be joining them?

For more on how people think about virtual reality and what the average income is for those that are interested in buying one (they earn a lot) you can check out this report.

Did these results surprise you?


Latest from our Creators