20 years ago Pokémon Red and Green hit Japanese store shelves, sparking an international phenomenon that continues to surge in popularity today.
Nintendo has since built the hot property into the second best-selling game franchise of all time, shifting more than 279 million units as of last year. That amounts to around $57.65 billion, some of which was, of course, sent home to mom for safe keeping.
Many fervently argue over which game is the 'best', but which installment does the entire Pokemon community, grouped as a mass market whole, consider the crowning jewel of the franchise?
We're only counting the core RPG games that appeared on Nintendo's handheld platforms, of which there are 14. What follows is every one of those versions ranked in order of popularity, i.e. how well they sold. So, without further dallying, the official Pokemon rankings...
14. Pokémon Emerald - 6.32
13. Pokémon Crystal - 6.39
12. Pokémon Platinum - 7.60
11. Pokémon Black and White 2 - 8.52
10. Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire - 11.84
9. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen - 12.00
8. Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver - 12.72
7. Pokémon Yellow - 14.64
6. Pokémon X and Y - 14.70
5. Pokémon Black and White - 15.60
4. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire - 16.22
3. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl - 17.63
2. Pokémon Gold and Silver - 23.10
1. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green - 31.38
Was there ever going to be another winner? Even after 14 iterations, the original still proves best.
Take a look at the same sales figures arranged this handy comparative bar chart: