Last week, Overkill Software announced their 100th update for their iconic cooperative first-person shooter Payday 2. After a disastrous update last October involving - shudders - microtransactions, it appears that the guys at Overkill have had a change in heart.
Let's go over the patch notes, starting with the most important:
No More Paid Safes!
Yes, you read that right. From now on, all future safes earned from card drops at the end of heists will be opened for free. However, if you own any safes from before the update you still have to buy drills from the in-game store to open them.
Free Community Grenades
You will no longer have to buy the Gage Weapon Pack #01 in order to acquire grenades for your heisting adventures. Feel free to blow off as many 'dozer masks as you would like!
New Antialiasing Options
For my PC master race comrades, there are now three new options for your Antialiasing needs:
- Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing (SMAA)
- Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO)
- Parallax mapping
New Skill Trees
The skill trees for Payday 2 has finally come out of beta! Now each class has three skill trees, each focusing on a particular strength of the class. Also, the technician class now has had a complete overhaul.
- Mastermind now has the subtrees Medic (which focuses on abilities such as doctor bags, medkits and inspire), Controller (which focuses on abilities based around hostage intimidation and control) and Sharpshooter (which focuses on single shot weapons).
- Enforcer now has the subtrees Shotgunner (which focuses on abilities based around shotguns, obviously), Tank (which focuses on abilities that increase your armour) and Ammo Specialist (which focuses on ammo bags).
- Technician now has the subtrees Engineer (which focuses on abilities involving sentry guns), Breacher (which focuses on drill skills, satchel bombs and trip mines) and Oppressor (which focuses on rushing the enemy with automatic weapons).
- Ghost now has the subtrees Shinobi (which focuses on abilities based around stealth, making stealth builds overwhelmingly easy to make), Artful Dodger (which focuses on abilities that reduce concealment and increase dodge chance dramatically), and Silent Killer (which focuses on abilities that increase the damage dealt with silenced weapons).
- Finally, Fugitive now has the subtrees Gunslinger (which focuses on abilities based around handguns), Revenant (which focuses on abilities that increase solo survivability), and Brawler (which focuses on abilities based around melee weapons and close-quarter encounters).
So, what do you think about the new update for Payday 2?