All over the internet you can find stories of how Pokémon GO has affected people. Negativity can often spread faster than positivity, with the web filled with accounts of how the game has caused people to become distracted and fall off bridges, walk into oncoming traffic, or get robbed when looking for Pokémon brings them into bad neighborhoods.
But the good things the game is providing far outweigh the bad. Below are 10 examples of how Pokémon GO is improving the lives of those who play it.
1) Dropping "lures" at hospitals so that children confined to the hospital can play Pokémon GO
2) groups of strangers converging in one area to find Pokémon are making lasting friendships.
3) Through websites like Reddit or Meetup.com players are gathering in a predetermined starting location to go out and catch Pokémon together.
4) "Gamers" who might otherwise spend all day sitting at their computer or console are going out to find Pokémon, often walking or cycling for hours on end.
5) Using Apps that donate to various charities like Charity Miles money is donated based on how much you walk. That way your Pokémon hunting also helps those in need.
6) Whether it be war memorials or a giant graffiti wall, Pokémon GO is teaching you about your city through the Pokéstops it provides. Pokémon GO also provides people the ability to request new Pokéstop locations, enabling attention to be drawn to places like museums or special events.
7) Pokémon GO Bridges the gap between generations, creating a common interest between parents and their children. You don't have to scroll through your Facebook feed for long to discover posts expressing the fun different generations are having hunting Pokémon together.
8) Mental health has become a conversation, with people proudly expressing how happy they are to have found something to help them heal and get out of the house.
9) Animal shelters have been "luring" players to their doors and encouraging them to take a dog with them while they walk. This has not only increased the amount of attention shelters are getting, but possibly increasing the rate of adoption in overcrowded shelters.
10) Pokémon GO has become a treasure trove of memes and jokes, creating laughter, and speaking in a language that crosses countless barriers.