The Kingdom Hearts series brings with it a wealth of characters. Each game introduces new characters (main and otherwise), new backstories, new relationships, and new alter-egos.
To make things more complicated, just about everyone in the series gets their own Nobody at one point or another—a soulless copy who vaguely resembles the original character. Try to keep up with all that back and forth!
If you're going to be diving into Kingdom Hearts 3 when it comes out at some... as-of-yet-undetermined date, you'll need to be familiar with the series' massive cast of characters if you have any hope of keeping up with the already convoluted story.
I've come up with a list of some of the most important characters in the series so your body can be ready by the time Kingdom Hearts 3 hits the shelves.
Kingdom Hearts 3 Original Characters
- Sora: our main character. A plucky, determined young lad destined to save the world (as so many main characters are). He fights using a weapon called a "Keyblade" and is best friends with Kairi and Riku (with whom he grew up on Destiny Islands). He is the successor to Ventus.
- Kairi: a young girl originally from Radiant Garden, she was whisked away to Destiny Islands after Radiant Garden was destroyed by the Heartless. There she met Sora and Riku. She is also a Keyblade wielder and the successor to Aqua.
- Riku: Sora's sometime best friend, sometime rival, Riku is normally calm, cool, and collected—except when it comes to Kairi. He has a tendency to get possessed by evil guys, but things normally turn out okay in the end. Sometimes he likes to call himself Ansem or dress up like a blind goth. He, too, wields a Keyblade, and is the successor to Terra.
- Ventus: Ventus was a Keyblade master and apprentice to both Xenahort and Eraqus together with his friends Aqua and Terra. The darkness Xenahort extracted from his heart became his "brother" Vanitas, who would go on to create the Unversed.
- Aqua: a friend of Ventus, she's a Keyblade wielder and apprentice under Eraqus. She and King Mickey defeat Xenahort after he steals Terra's body, but are sent flying into oblivion after the battle.
- Terra: a friend of Ventus and Aqua, he is also an apprentice under Eraqus. When he fails the Mark of Mastery exam, he runs off in search of help from Xenahort. Xenahort ultimately kills him and uses his body as a empty shell for his own heart.
- Roxas: a Nobody of Sora created when Sora attempted to release Kairi's heart from his body at the end of the first Kingdom Hearts. He befriended Xion and Axel after being absorbed into Organization XIII. Upon being defeated by Riku, he's trapped inside a virtual version of Twilight Town until DiZ merges him with Sora. He has the unique ability of being able to wield two Keyblades.
- Xion: an imperfect replica of Roxas created from Sora's leaked memories by Xemnas in the event that Sora turned out to be useless to his plans for Kingdom Hearts. She befriends Roxas and Axel, but once she realizes she and Roxas cannot coexist, she allows Roxas to kill her.
- Axel: a Nobody of Lea and member of Organization XIII, Axel was put in charge of training Roxas upon his acceptance into the organization. He spends much of the series searching for a way to bring Roxas back after he's merged with Sora.
Besides its wealth of original characters, the Kingdom Heart series also offers a slew of characters from Disney and Final Fantasy properties. While no information about what new characters we'll see in Kingdom Hearts 3 has been released yet, here are some of the Final Fantasy and Disney characters already prominent in the series:
Final Fantasy Characters:
- Leon (Squall), Final Fantasy VIII
- Cloud, Final Fantasy VII
- Tidus, Final Fantasy X
- Aerith, Final Fantasy VII
- Yuffie, Final Fantasy VII
- Cid, Final Fantasy VII
- Wakka, Final Fantasy X
- Selphie, Final Fantasy VIII
- Auron, Final Fantasy X
- Seifer, Final Fantasy VIII
- Setzer, Final Fantasy VI
- Vivi, Final Fantasy IX
- Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII
- Tifa, Final Fantasy VII
- The Gullwings (Yuna, Rikku, Paine), Final Fantasy X-2
- King Mickey
- Ariel, The Little Mermaid
- Beast, Beauty and the Beast
- Aladdin, Aladdin
- Mulan, Mulan
- Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
- Jack Skellington, The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Simba, The Lion King
- Tron, Tron
- Peter Pan, Peter Pan
- Tarzan, Tarzan