Finally, guys, the moment we've all been waiting for has arrived. And boy have we friggin' waited! Nintendo's seventh console, the NX, now named Nintendo Switch, has been unveiled to some suitable fanfare over at Nintendo tower making 20 October, 2016 a very magical day indeed. Good Guy Nintendo even made sure to wait until after the third US Presidential debate.
Here's the badass new logo:
But after all the rumors, all the hype and confusion and tears and atrophied patience, the Switch is here, people. Let's have a bloody look shall we? I'm honestly emotional!
Here's what Ninty have to say about the Nintendo Switch:
Introducing Nintendo Switch! In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose.
The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.
So the teaser trailer has managed to reveal and validify a few rumors that have been spinning around on the cogs of the hype train for some time now:
- The graphics are utterly stunning on both handheld and docked. In one part of the trailer one of the actors was seen playing Skyrim. Can you dig that?
- Multiplayer will be achieved via bluetooth, which means you can connect two Switches together to get 4 player on the go.
- And portability is utterly out of this world. Games switch from docked to portable seamlessly, the controllers click off the side and can be used like two Wii-like nunchucks. Amazing.
The Look Of Love
And how about that design! Check out these choice shots of the NX from the teaser:
How Does The Switch Work Then?
The Switch's Joy-Con controllers are wonderfully malleable. As I said earlier they can be removed and used in each hand, one each can be used by two people for multiplayer or you can leave them attached to the console for a more traditional handheld experience.
Nintendo will be shipping a Pro controller, for those who want the feel of an age old peripheral, or a "Grip" peripheral that is made by forming two Joy-Cons together like Voltron and getting it on like King Kong.
Mario Will Return In 2017
Also in a blink and you may miss it cameo, the new Super Mario game has been revealed (another true rumor!) and looks stunning:
3rd Party Support
The Switch managed to blow so many dev minds, Nintendo finally have a console with a formidable show of support from devs such as:
- 505 Games
- Activision Publishing, Inc.
- ATLUS CO.,LTD.
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
- CAPCOM CO., LTD.
- Electronic Arts
- Epic Games Inc.
- FromSoftware, Inc.
- Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
- LEVEL-5 Inc.
- PlatinumGames Inc.
- SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
- SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
- Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
- Telltale Games
- THQ Nordic
- Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
- TT Games
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
All we have to do now is wait until March 2017 to finally get sweaty fingerprints all over the Switch. Only question is... where will you be when it releases in March 2017?
Excited for the Nintendo Switch? (Because Twitter definitely is)